Monday, November 13, 2006

progress





Anyone see anything out of place here? Yeah, me neither. That bag of dark stuff in the front? The most incredible rye bread. The recipe is on the Hodgson's Mill Rye Flour bag (I won't steal their thunder, go buy it yourself! BTW, I added sunflower seeds.)

The latest project is #5 from Vogueknitting Winter 05-06. It's progressing rapidly (foot for scale here).


I've burned through 2.25 skeins of Patons 100% Merino Wool in a week. If you've ever used it, you know the stuff has freakin' great yardage.

I altered the method of decreasing from SK2P to k3tog. The decreases are more prominent now, but I like the appearance better. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but the loop I passed over always appeared to be streched out and kind of. . .saggy?

I couldn't get the lighting right to show you that there are some funky variations in the dyeing. Mostly it's at the end of each skein, but I don't notice it until I've started the next one and knit 10 rows (which, as you can see, would not be fun to frog). I can't decide if this is my obsessive-compulsive self in overdrive--are the variations that noticeable? Can I let sleeping dogs lie, or do I need to buy dye? (From where? What color for cream?)

Please indulge me in a nerd moment here. . .Ed Bradley from 60 Minutes has died! I'm really disappointed. I liked his work. Even more, I appreciate the fact that he didn't adopt the stereotype appearance of a journalist/reporter. (He had an earring and shaved his head.) I'm in a profession where we *think* we have to "walk the line" appearance-wise, especially as a woman in the Old Boys' Club. But Bradley showed that it's possible to do excellent work and not simultaneously become the stereotype of the profession you love, and that you don't have to sacrifice your image to prove your dedication to that profession. I don't want to be a stereotypical (woman) surgeon. Ed Bradley has been a sort of inspiration for me in that area. I'll miss him.



2 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Kristina (Yarnsticks) said...

wow! fast progress. I am always in awe of people who make grown-up size clothes. I am a tad shorter than you, but also have very long arms...how do you know if you have added enough length to accomodate your extra-long arms? I loathe sleeves that are too short.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jaws said...

Yeah, sleeves are a problem. I haven't exactly figured it out. I've had a bit of luck in that area lately---Pam's sleeves fit like a dream, and Henrietta (the oversized pink sweater) has sleeves that fit perfectly, but the rest of it is larger (the model wears it oversized, I'm assuming I got the size right and on any other "normal" human, the arms would be too long, but for me they're good).

For Teriokhin braid, I'm thinking about doing 3/4 sleeves, or perhaps slightly above the elbow, but that's more out of fear of running out of yarn (and from being so freaking hot all the time).

So I guess the answer is to make REALLY shorter sleeves on purpose, if it fits the overall look of the garment.

As for speed, just wait. I'll probably stall again at the seaming/end weaving stage, like I have on Pam and the Teriokhin braid! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home