Friday, June 30, 2006

Slowly but Surely

. . . Who's Shirley?

Actually, surly is how I'm starting to feel after knitting this thing. It's giving me an attitude. The wrong kind. Where to start?



First, it is not as long as I expected. I'm hoping it is not midriff-baring, but initial reports aren't promising. Since I wung the neckline, I wasn't sure how long to make the armscye (not sure if I'm describing this properly), so I partially seamed in a sleeve to ge an idea of how much I would need there. This then allowed me to seam the shoulders and try it on.



Which is how I'm thinking it's too short (no photo for now). This is despite modifying the pattern from 11 1/2 inches until armhole bind-off to 14 inches. Mind you, this is the largest size, and they want 11 1/2 inches! Who the heck is this small? I don't consider myself particularly large. I'm 5'10'', 135-145 lb (depending on the season and if I'm operating or in the lab-active v. sedentary) but I can easily take small sizes in tank tops. Go figure.

Seaming the shoulders also now allows me to pick up stitches along the neckline for the ribbed edge. This has to be the least graceful aspect of knitting. Pick up???? Give me a break. It's more like DIG UP.



And there were some minor glitches in the ribbed eyelet pattern, thanks to increases. This was the best I could do.


The garment *does* have its redeeming qualities. First and foremost, it's utterly feminine, yet entirely work-appropriate (as long as it's not too SHORT). Second, the ribbing makes it oh so comfortable. Third, I love the textured pattern, both in terms of appearance and because it was fun to knit--it actually held my attention!

This morning I have a doctor's appt, to which I would love to take this piece and work on it (because there will likely be substantial waiting time involved). But given the nature of this appt (NO, it's NOT what you are thinking, don't even go there!!) I'm likely to be highly distractable and I don't want to %$^& up this thing. Plus, I'd be a bit of a spectacle with an entire sweater in my hands, free yarn ends waving about (I managed to hide them for the photo shoot).

I *do* have another project up my sleeves, which is at the 1x1 ribbing in the round stage, perfect for waiting room knitting. More on that later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home