Sunday, March 18, 2007

Lara, the Specs

I totally forgot this part.


Pattern: Lara, from Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk Coll.
Needles: US8s, circs for required # of stitches
Gauge: 18 x 24 = 4 in (same as recommended gauge)
Yarn: substituted with Bernat Super Value in Navy (lest you be jealous). No swatching needed with this stuff. And it really is soft (despite being acrylic)!


Now for the good part. . .

Recall what they did to me and. . .Take a look now.


Perhaps I don't look that different to you (which is kind of the point), but the real difference is on the profile shot. My upper lip is still swollen, a la Marge Simpson, but that will go down. Every day I look a little. . .better? More like me? Call it what you like.

I ended up bleeding enough to win a blood transfusion, and lemme tell ya, it was rough going after that. I'm on loads and loads of iron supplements now, and we just did some bloodwork, so hopefully I'm back in the game as far as hemoglobin goes.

Update: Just got the bloodwork results, which are kind of funny. Retic count (immature red blood cell count)--OK. Hemoglobin--11.9 (12.5 is the minimum normal level). And ferritin, which measures your iron stores (which you can mobilize in cases of hemorrhage like mine)--12 (minimum normal is 50)!!! Obviously, I'm behind the gun and I'll stop taking iron, oh, say, in 10 YEARS.

Most importantly, I seem to be sleeping better (soundless and snoreless) now. We'll see what the next sleep study in a few months shows. But I'm definitely making it through the day now--and on a LOT less caffeine.

I'm hopeful.

5 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you look great! Do you have before profile shots? I am glad that you seem to be feeling the positive effects of the surgery. :)

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Jaws said...

Yes, I have a "before" profile shot, but it's truly awful! Not as far as picture quality goes--I was simply "ugly" from the side! :o) Really and truly, one of the benefits of this whole ordeal has been to rid myself of the self-consciousness I've always had about my profile. Even as far back as 5th grade, before I realized what "attractive" was(from a purely anatomical standpoint), I was aware of my jaw. I've jutted it forward to meet the backs of my front teeth ever since, but it was always there.

So I'm not posting a "before" pic. I may email it to you, K, and you can testify about the radical change in appearance. . .

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Laritza said...

I am so glad that you are doing well. Iron and food will take care of hemoglobin, you know that! The worse is over and that is what matters.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

This might be a stupid question, but did they only cut inside your mouth? Or could you have incisions that healed super fast? :)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jaws said...

The incisions are all inside my mouth, where the inside of my cheek meets my gums (top and bottom, the whole thing). Pretty cool, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home